Independent We Stand is a movement of independently owned businesses across the country dedicated to educating their communities about the importance – and the strong economic benefits – of “buying local.”
Help support the movement and revive your local economy by shopping at your friends’ and neighbors’ stores. In turn, these locally owned and operated businesses will continually put your hard-earned dollars back into the local economy by way of taxes, payrolls and purchases.
Why Should You Shop Local?*
When you buy products and services from locally owned and operated businesses, they support the community in the following ways:
- Local Character and Prosperity: Communities that preserve their one-of-a-kind businesses and distinctive character have an economic advantage.
- Community Well-Being: Locally owned businesses build strong communities by linking neighbors and contributing to local causes.
- Local Decision-Making: Local ownership ensures that important decisions are made locally by people who live in the community.
- Keeping Dollars in the Local Economy: Locally owned businesses recycle a much larger share of their revenue back into the local economy.
- Jobs and Wages: Locally owned businesses create more jobs locally and provide better wages and benefits.
- Entrepreneurship: Entrepreneurship fuels America’s eco-nomic innovation and prosperity.
- Public Benefits and Costs: Local stores require comparatively little infrastructure and make more efficient use of public services.
- Environmental Sustainability: Local stores help to sustain vibrant, compact, walkable town centers – which reduces sprawl, habitat loss, and pollution.
- Competition: A marketplace of tens of thousands of small businesses is the best way to ensure innovation and low prices.
- Product Diversity: A multitude of small businesses, each selecting products based on the needs of their customers, guarantees a much broader range of choices.